Fiance Visa

What is an IR-1 visa?

Free Consultation »

A visa (also known as an immediate relative visa) issued by the United States embassy or consulate in the foreign relative’s home country for the purpose of allowing the spouse, child (under 21 and unmarried) or parent of a U.S. citizen to legally enter as a resident and live permanently in the United States. With respect to an immediate relative that is a spouse, the IR-1 visa is issued if the spouse has been married for 2 years or more. After entry into the United States, the foreign spouse and any children are issued a residence (‘green card’) by the USCIS valid for 10 years from the date of entry and are termed a “permanent resident”.