Fiance Visa

Can an unemployed petitioner file a fiancé(e) petition?

Free Consultation »

Yes. There is no USCIS requirement that the petitioner be employed in order to file a fiancé(e) petition. However, in order for the U.S. embassy or consulate to issue a K-1 visa, evidence must be presented that the petitioner is able to financially support a fiancé(e) upon entry into the United States. If the petitioner is unemployed at the time of the embassy or consulate interview, the fiancé(e) may present evidence from a co-sponsor (a person other than the petitioner) demonstrating their ability to financially support the fiancé(e).