Fiance Visa

What is a CR-1 visa?

Free Consultation »

The CR-1 visa (also known as a conditional resident visa) is issued by the United States embassy or consulate in the foreign spouse’s home country for the purpose of allowing the spouse to legally enter as a resident and live permanently in the United States. The CR-1 visa is issued to a foreign spouse who has been married fewer than 2 years. After entry into the United States, the foreign spouse is issued a residence (‘green card’) by the USCIS valid for 2 years from the date of entry. The foreign spouse, termed a “conditional resident”, must file a petition with the USCIS to remove the conditions during the 90 day period prior to the expiration of the CR-1 visa in 2 years time.