Sample List

Sample Initial L-1 Petition List

Free Consultation »

In order to initiate or extend an L-1, the petitioner (U.S. employer) must file a petition on behalf of the foreign worker with the USCIS.

The following is a sample list of forms and documentation required by the USCIS.

  1. Original Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker (Form I-129) with filing fees ($325 + $500). Learn more about L-1 visa fees here.
  2. L Classification Supplement to Form I-129.
  3. U.S. employer’s Letter in Support of the petition specifying the nature of the foreign and U.S. employers’ businesses; qualifying relationship; duties of the position abroad qualifying it as a manager or executive or ‘specialty knowledge’ position; duties of the position in the United States qualifying it as a manager or executive or ‘specialty knowledge’ position; minimum requirements for the position; foreign worker’s credentials; and the terms of employment.
  4. Documentation evidencing:
    i. Existence of foreign company
    ii. Existence of U.S. company (additional documentation if ‘new’ office)
    iii. Qualifying relationship
    iv. Employment abroad
    v. ‘New’ office (if applicable)
    vi. Business plan (if applicable)
    vii. Foreign worker’s credentials
  5. Copy of biographic page of foreign worker’s passport (if foreign worker is lawfully in the U.S.).
  6. Copy of Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record (if foreign worker is lawfully in the U.S.).

*All foreign language documents must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Additional Questions?

For a further understanding of when and how the L-1 visa process works, you may wish to read our outline of the L-1 visa process, or our L-1 visa FAQs.

Contact us for a free consultation by:

Entering your information in the ‘Free Consultation’ box and clicking ‘Get an Answer


Calling 206.269.1200