Can the foreign worker change status to L-1 status in the United States?

Free Consultation »

Yes. If the foreign worker entered the United States in a different nonimmigrant visa category (i.e. visitor); was present in the United States in valid nonimmigrant status when the L-1 petition was approved; and a request for a change of status from the nonimmigrant status to L-1 status was requested, then the foreign worker could begin employment on the first date of validity of the L-1 status.