In order to initiate the permanent residence (based on marriage) process, the petitioner (U.S. citizen) must file a petition on behalf of the beneficiary (foreign spouse’s child) with the USCIS and the foreign child files applications as detailed below.
The following is a sample list of the documentation required by the USCIS.
- Original Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) with filing fee ($420). Learn more about permanent residence fees here.
- Original Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485) with filing fee ($1070). Learn more about permanent residence fees here.
- Original Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765).
- Original Application for Travel Document (Form I-131).
- Original Biographic Information Sheet (Form G-325A) for foreign child.
- Original Biographic Information Sheet (Form G-325A) for U.S. citizen.
- Affidavit of Support (Form I-864).
- Proof of petitioner’s U.S. citizenship.
i. Copy of certificate of naturalization OR
ii. Copy of biographic page of U.S. passport OR
iii. Copy of certificate of birth
- Six (6) color photographs (dimension of 2”x2”) of foreign child.
- Two (2) color photographs (dimension of 2”x2”) of U.S. citizen.
- Copy of divorce and/or death certificate(s) of any previous spouse(s) of both foreign spouse and U.S. citizen (if applicable).
- Copy of marriage certificate.
- Copy of birth certificate of foreign spouse.
- Copy of passport of foreign child.
- Copy of Arrival/Departure Record (form I-94) of foreign child.
- Sealed medical examination.
*Child(ren) less than 14 years of age and applying with a parent pay a filing fee of $635.
**All foreign language documents must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Contact us for a free consultation by:
Entering your information in the ‘Free Consultation’ box and clicking ‘Get an Answer’