Free Consultation »

Your company wishes to transfer to the United States a manager or executive or ‘specialized knowledge’ worker that is currently working abroad for a parent, branch, affiliate or subsidiary. Is the foreign worker eligible for an L-1 visa?

What are the Requirements to Obtain an L-1 Visa?

Qualifying Relationship

The foreign worker must have been employed abroad by a parent, branch, affiliate or subsidiary of the petitioning U.S. employer.

Employment Abroad

The foreign worker must have been continuously employed abroad for at least 1 year within the past three 3 years preceding the filing of the L-1 petition.

Manager or Executive (L-1A)

The foreign worker must have been a manager or executive abroad to obtain an L-1A visa.

‘Specialty Knowledge’ Worker (L-1B)

The foreign worker must have been employed in a ‘specialized knowledge’ capacity abroad to obtain an L-1B visa.

U.S. Employer

The employer filing the petition must be engaging the foreign worker to work in the United States and must have an Internal Revenue Service Tax Identification Number.

Employer/Employee Relationship

The U.S. employer must have an employer/employee relationship with the foreign worker in that it may hire, pay, fire and supervise or otherwise control his/her work.

Additional Questions?

More information about the specific requirements of obtaining an L-1 visa is available on the L-1 visa FAQs.

Contact us for a free consultation by:

Entering your information in the ‘Free Consultation’ box and clicking ‘Get an Answer


Calling 206.269.1200