How is an immigrant visa (CR-1 or IR-1) processed by the United States embassy or consulate?

Free Consultation »

At the interview, the consular officer will verify that all required documentation has been provided. Second, and more importantly, the consular officer will question your foreign spouse in detail with respect to the specifics of your marriage in order to determine its legitimacy.

Assuming that the consular officer is satisfied, the immigrant visa application is approved and an immigrant visa (either CR-1 or IR-1) is placed in your foreign spouse’s passport. At that time, the United States embassy or consulate will also approve any minor children’s immigrant visa application and place an immigrant visa(s) in your foreign spouse’s minor children’s passport(s). The visas will be valid for 6 months. The United States embassy or consulate will also provide each immigrant with a sealed envelope that contains the approved petition, applications and documentation.