How does the foreign worker obtain an H-1B visa?

Free Consultation »

Assuming the foreign worker is outside the United States and requires an H-1B visa to enter, after approval of the H-1B petition by the USCIS, the foreign worker must proceed to the United States embassy or consulate in their native country to obtain an H-1B visa before s/he will be admitted to the United States. Typically, in order to obtain the H-1B visa the foreign worker must provide the U.S. embassy or consulate with the original USCIS H-1B approval notice; a copy of the H-1B petition that was filed with the USCIS; a valid passport; confirmation of having completed form DS-160 online; and payment of the visa fee. The United States embassy or consulate will issue a machine readable H-1B visa in the foreign worker’s passport valid for the same dates as indicated on the USCIS approval notice (but not to exceed 3 years).